2 cups of water
4 pieces of Mauby bark
1 piece star anise
1 piece cinnamon
2 cups sugar
Method 1) Put all ingredients in a pot and boil for 5 mins. 2) Remove from heat and cool 3) Strain liquid 4) Add water to desired strength and sugar to taste. Serve with ice cubes and a dash of Angostura Bitters Go Back up
Ponche de Créma
2 tins sweetened Condensed Milk
3 packs ( 250 ml) Evaporated Milk
1 teasp. vanilla essence
2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
1 Bottle Rum
peel from 1 green lime
Method 1) Whisk eggs with lime peel until fluffy
2) Add Condensed milk, evaporated milk and rum, beating continuously
3) Add all other ingredients and keep beating
4) Use fine strainer and strain liquid
5) Bottle and store in fridge.
6) Serve over cracked ice
1 cup rum
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
6 cups crushed ice
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
3 oz heavy cream or evaporated milk
Method 1) Combine rum, coconut milk, cream, pineapple juice and chunks in a blender and blend
2) Add ice and process until ice is crushed
3) Serve in a tall glass with ice and garnishes
1 lb ginger root, washed and peeled
sugar to taste
Method 1) Grate ginger roots
2) Put in a bottle with about 4 pints of cold water and one lime
( juice and peel)
3) Leave in sun for one entire day
4) Next day in the evening drain liquid and sweeten to taste with sugar
5) Put in clean bottles and place in fridge for 2 days
6) Serve over ice (you may add soda water )
Ingredients There is a rhyme in Trinidad to tell you how to mix a proper Rum Punch:
" One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak"
1 measure lime juice ( 1 oz)
2 measures syrup ( made of equal parts of sugar and water, boiled for 5 mins)
3 measures rum
4 measures of water and ice, combined,
or ginger ale, a dash of Angostura bitters and a dusting of nutmeg
Method 1) Mix all ingredients, except for bitters and nutmeg and serve over ice, then add a dash of Angostura and sprinkle with nutmeg ( garnish glass with slice of lime or orange and a maraschino cherry)
Go Back up
Tropical Fruit Punch Ingredients
3 cups orange juice
3 cups pineapple juice
3 cups grapefruit juice
1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
4 cans ginger ale or soda water
1 cup rum or white whine
1 cup finely chopped pineapple
1 cup small melon pieces or balls
1 lime or orange seeded and thinly sliced
Method 1) Combine orange, pineapple, grapefruit and lime juices
2) Sweeten to taste with honey and chill for a few hours
3) Just before serving stir in ginger ale, rum, pineapple pieces and melon balls. Garnish with lime or orange slices, serve over crushed ice
N.B. You can leave out the alcohol and also substitute fruit with a can of fruit salad
1 soursop, peeled
2 cups water
6 - 8 tablesps. condensed milk
Method 1) Crush soursop in a bowl with half of the water
2) Pound it well and pass through a sieve to extract juice
3) Add remaining water, milk and a little salt, mix well
4) Add sugar and stir until dissolved
5) Strain, chill and serve with bitters
Coconut Drink "Pick me up "
4 cups coconut water
2 cups grapefruit juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 dash Angostura Bitters
2 Tablesps Rum ( optional ) Method:
1 Mix all ingredients and chill
Serve over ice
Sea Moss Drink I ngredients
1 lb sea moss
sugar to taste
Method 1) Soak sea moss in lime juice overnight
2) Wash thoroughly and cook in pressure cooker for
20-30 mins or until sea moss resembles jelly
3) Cool, add milk and sugar to taste and blend in a blender
4) Flavour with bitters and serve with crushed ice
In Trinidad this drink is rumoured to enhance a man's performance ( wink)
1 Bottle Burgundy wine
2 large sliced lemons
2 sliced peaches
1 sliced oranges
2 oz Cointreau or Triple Sec
2 oz Brandy
Add sugar to taste and club soda if desired
1) Mix all ingredients in a large Punch Bowl and serve over ice
5 lbs fresh sorrell
sugar to taste
Method 1) Remove seeds from sorrell
2) Wash and cover with water in a large pan
3) Bring to a slow boil
4) Add a few cloves
5) Remove from heat and cover
6) Allow to cool
7) Strain and sweeten with about 2 lbs of sugar or to taste
8) Bottle and refrigerate
Makes about 3 gallons
1/2 to 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
3 cups cold whole milk
4 tablespoons sugar
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for about 30
seconds or until thick and frothy.
Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
Marsha's Ginger Beer
3/4 cup (1/4 pound) grated ginger root
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
12 cups (3 quarts) plus 1/4 cup water
2 1/4 ounce packages active dry yeast
2 cups sugar
In a large bowl, combine grated ginger root, lime juice and cream of tartar and stir well.
In a large kettle, bring 12 cups water to a boil over high heat.
Carefully pour hot water over ginger mixture and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar.
Stir to make a smooth paste.
When ginger mixture is lukewarm, add yeast mixture and stir well.
Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let stand for 3 days. (But the longer you let it stand, the stronger it gets!)
Pour ginger mixture through a sieve with another large bowl underneath to catch the liquid.
Add remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir well. Serve chilled over ice.
PONCHA CREMA (Ponche de crema)
4 cups whole milk
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
3 cups white rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 drops Angostura bitters
lime zest for garnish
freshly grated nutmeg,for garnish
In a medium saucepan over very low heat, warm the 4 cups milk.
Cook for 7 mins. stir regularly.
Add the eggs and sugar, stir and cook until the mixture thickens, taking care not to boil it or the eggs will curdle.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Add the rum, vanilla and bitters; Stir well.
Refrigerate the mixture until ready to serve.
To serve, pour the mixture into glasses, garnish with zest and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Makes 4 servings
Go back up